- 1 large bowl
- 1 plastic water bottle with a hole punched in the center of the lid
- Rubber Bands
- 1 large Ziploc bag
- 1 pair of rubber gloves
- Food colouring
Now that you've gathered all your ingredients, let's get started.
- In a large bowl mix together one part water with one part vinegar. Use a bowl large enough to fit the fabric you will be dying, and add in as much liquid as necessary to completely submerge your fabric. Let the fabric soak in the solution for 1 hour.
- Once your fabric has soaked in the solution, wring it out and plan out your tie-dye design. Place the rubber bands on your fabric to achieve your desired pattern.
- Prepare your food colouring. Depending on how many colours you are going to dye your fabric with, you may want to use more than one plastic water bottle. Otherwise feel free to rinse out and reuse the same bottle between colours. In order to make dye with food colouring, mix a 1/2 cup of water and 8 drops of food colouring in the water bottle.
- Tie-dye your garment to your hearts content!
- Once you are happy with how your tie-dye looks, place the fabric in your Ziploc bag and allow the dye to set. Keep your bag out of the sunlight and allow to sit for at least 8 hours.
- After allowing the fabric to sit, use plastic gloves to remove the fabric from the Ziploc bag. Remove the rubber bands as well and thoroughly rinse your fabric under cold water until the water runs clear.
- After thoroughly rinsing your fabric with cold water, throw it into the washing machine for a good clean. Make sure to wash the fabric by itself for at least the first three washes to ensure the dye doesn't run off on any of your other garments.
This is a great way to entertain the family and create something special! Why not purchase some of our personalized apparel, to make tie-dye clothing that exactly suits your style!